With all deference to fabulous late night talk shows, here are ten reasons to consider putting some of your hard earned wages into an account with your employer’s retirement plan.
10. The company is required to provide a variety of investment choices and access to information about those investments.
9. You’ll save taxes on the money you put in the plan now and you’ll probably be in a lower tax bracket when you take the money out after you retire.
8. Forced savings – if you don’t get it in your pay check now, you don’t spend it now.
7. It keeps you from trying to time the market. The money gets invested every month.
6. The balances you have in retirement accounts don’t usually count against your kids’ ability to qualify for student financial aid.
5. Many companies contribute some money to your account if you contribute.
4. Lots of retirement plans allow you to borrow against your account if you need to.
3. If you want to “buy low” in the market, this certainly seems like the time to do it!
2. You can brag to your friends at parties about your investment portfolio.
1. You’re putting away money for retirement. When you’re old and grey, you’re less likely to have to go to work and ask strangers, “Do you want fries with that?”