10. Get your things organized and to your preparer as soon possible to avoid needing to file an extension.
9. If you owe a lot or are getting a big refund, adjust your with-holdings or quarterly estimated payments now.
8. If you can deduct an IRA contribution and owe tax, consider making a contribution before April 15 and getting it on your 2010 tax return.
7. If you have kids in college, and don’t have a 529 plan, set one up and put this year’s tuition in it now.
6. Start your file now for 2011 tax data.
5. If you’re going through a divorce…oh shoot, taxes are the least of your problems.
4. Start a mileage log with a section for charitable miles, medical miles, and business miles.
3. Keep track of all your out of pocket business expenses.
2. Keep organized on your other financial issues, not just taxes.
1. Reward your tax preparer with chocolate – especially if it’s me!
What tip are you going to implement this season?